Mental Health Awareness
Mental health is the biggest unaddressed health challenge of our age. Because of no visible symptoms or lack of contagious properties, it does not even qualify into the list of fatal diseases. Despite killing roughly 8 million people yearly, it is yet to declared the most dangerous and probably a never-ending pandemic. As per WHO suicide is 4th leading cause of death in 15 -29 years old adults. So where do we fail? What do we lack? Technology?… Absolute “No”. We fail to recognize, observe and practice basic human qualities.
- Listen: Sometimes, just being a good listener can do wonders, do not react, do not opine but listen and that can bring relief to the other in so many unimaginable ways.
- Practice Empathy: To be honest nobody practices empathy. What we are concerned about more, is human productivity, efficiency & effectiveness. We really don’t tend to look for the reason that might have an adverse impact on one’s behavior.
- Reciprocate: Reciprocation is probably the most important part while suggesting or providing solutions. Sometimes people look for solutions or some sort of soothing words. But what they get are just cliches. Think positive or everything will be fine. Trust me it never works.
- Never Compare: People drown in oceans as well as in rivers. So, to compare problems or pain is certainly of no use rather it sometimes adds fuel to the fire.
- Never judge: I feel the fear of being judged is one of the root causes of mental trauma. As a listener or as a counsellor never judge others and make sure that you make them feel as such.
I recognize the fact that the above qualities are never enough to cure or warm the cockles of somebody’s heart because to heal it also takes a lot of courage and strength from person suffering. But what we shall learn is to do our own best and restore the faith of many humans in humanity.